Monday, September 1, 2008

T-2 - THANK GOD!!!

Today's the last day of 4 hours of chemo in the morning, and 4 hours in the evening with so many bags of fluid stuck inbetween that I gain 6-8 pounds which I then have to pee off at night. I'm so sick of my joints feeling so swollen and my head feeling like its sloshing around on top of my body. And I don't even get a decent buzz out of the deal.

Seriously though, I'm very excited this morning because I am coming to the end of the chemotherapy treatment. Only one more round tonight and then a different round tomorrow and I'm done. Stem cells go back in on Wednesday. So far, my WBC have held up remarkably well, so although I feel bad, its not as bad as it could be. Overall, I generally just feel really, really weak and tired. There's no acute pain, but the dull ache is plenty for me.

Allissa, my nurse, says that by having my counts stay up for so long, the really bottom days could be shorter because my new stem cells will be making replacements for the dying WBC, RBC and platlets, so once again my tough assed bone marrow comes to the rescue. WHEW! I've walked around the isolation ward several times and seen some of the patients who aren't so lucky, and its pretty disturbing.

Thank God also that the transplant coordinator was so great about having me bring books, games, my computer, music, etc. Boredom is a KILLER in here. I don't feel like doing much, but my mind wanders all over the place. Hope and Honore gave me a digital picture frame for Father's Day which has been a blessing because I get to see so many pictures of friends and family all the time, that helps. And all the posters that y'all signed at the Leukemia cup weekend decorate my walls and really help to make me feel better when I'm down. And finally, I love having a little bag of snacks stowed in my closet so that when the chemo tastes terrible, which is most of the time, I'm not forced to turn to hospital food for salvation. My little boxes of cereal or popcorn are awesome.

Wish I had some pearl of wisdom or humor this morning, but I really don't. I'm tired because I have to get up so much during the night to pee I never really sleep more than 3 hours. Time to run, last bag of morning chemo. :) Yippee.....

No comments: