Sunday, September 14, 2008

T+11

Man o' man, my body is AMAZING. My WBC went from 2.1 yesterday to 3.7 today, although they told me my counts would probably go down a little. Also, my Absolute Neutrophils went from 1.8 yesterday to 3.1 today, which shocked my nurse. Mei couldn't believe my neutrophils would go from Too Low To Count to 3.1 in two days, she had never seen movement like that only 11 days after transplant before.

Dr. Happy Pants just came by, he's great now that I'm feeling better. He says I'm probably going home tomorrow or Tuesday. They are stopping all my IV medications today and taking me off the drip, so I'm no longer married to my dancing partner. YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

I have this pole on wheels which stands about 6' 4" tall. About waist high there's a metal ring, whic serves as a handle and a little try for holding my stuff, just above this, attached to the pole is a pair of electronic IV pumps which connect up to the IV bags which hang from four hooks at the top. The first thing they did when I came into the hospital was hook me up to this, and I have been attached to it 24/7 since. Sleep, shower, walk, exercise bike ride, it didn't matter, I am hooked up to this thing. AND IT STOPS TODAY!!!!

My brother thinks I should get a blond wig, a pair of coconuts and a grass skirt and call her My Girl Friday. GOD I can't wait to get rid of this thing, that's going to make me so happy.

Dr. Happy Pants is thrilled I've done so well and said if I go home tomorrow it will be one of the earliest he's ever released a transplant patient, 12 days from transplant. He's very impressed with both my positive mental attitude and my body's response to the treatment. "I wish more patient's were like you, its makes my job much easier."

Having seen 9 patients transferred to ICU, and only 1 return, and knowing that most of them have made the final turn for home, I feel so blessed. I'm extremely lucky to have a strong body, and sound mind, a tremendous support group and an undaunting will. I will forever be grateful for all of those things, and so much more.

I'm a little scared to go home in a way though, because I fear those around me will assume that because I'm out of the hospital I'm back to normal. According to my doctor, I still have a long way to go to get out of the woods, and there will be every bit as much struggle at home as here. For several weeks, I will remain mostly bed ridden, forbidden from crowds, avoiding sick people, and taking lots of medications to prevent any followup infection which would land me back here.

Who the hell am I kidding, I can't wait to get the fuck outta here. Room 1596 has been great, the staff has been great, the hospital is very nice, but I'm ready to GO!!!!

Speaking of the future, I'm seriously thinking about becoming either a motivational speaker, or a life coach(or maybe some combination of both). I think the trials I've been through in battling cancer give me a perspective on life that's pretty healthy. I wonder how to find out more about those opportunities.

Today's Dream: A hammock strung between two palm trees, dangling invitingly close to a sugar sand beach, with a view of the gently breaking azure blue sea and a flag that brings fruity drinks from the bar.

3 comments:

Renee Rendler-Kaplan said...

Fabulous news!

Jeff Abbott said...

Great great news. I know Honore and Hope will be thrilled to have you home.

KLA said...

I hope that beach was in St. Lucia! :) We want to see you there in '09! xoxo K&M