Friday, September 12, 2008

T+9 First Signs

Great news, my WBC is 0.4 today. So in the past 3 days it went from 0.1 to 0.2 to 0.4, meaning that some stem cells have engrafted and are partying it up! My doctors were very encouraged as this would be 3 days earlier than expected. However, they were quick to point out that even though I will at times feel a little better, there will still be major hiccups in the road. I will still spike fevers, get bloody noses, and have to be careful of all the stuff we are watching out for, but the doctors all agree these are signs the engrafting is taking place.

The counts will go up and down with some variability, but generally from here they should go pretty much up to a near normal level. Then, we can start evaluating my body's reaction to the treatment and chemotherapy. My neutrophils are still TLTC, but those go up last usually.

My lead Transplant doctor said this morning, "So far, really, your case has been what we look for in a Stem Cell Transplant case. Straight through the uprights." To which I had to add, "you mean like when Robbie Gold converts on a Devon Hester punt return." All three of the doctors on the rotation this morning laughed at that one, although the head doctor commented that he thought the Bears may find some offense this year. To which I couldn't help myself, I said, "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while."

Spirits were much better on rounds today, especially mine. Its dreary and overcast outside, and I could careless. It feels good to think that I may be finally turning the corner on this bitch. When I'm not running a fever, I do feel a bit better. And when I'm running a fever, I don't feel quite as bad, although its still pretty bad.

Today, for the first time, I realize I'm truly gonna beat this thing. I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and man am I ready to run into some daylight. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with myself after recovery, but I'm gonna do something great. This is too high a price to pay to just sit around and do nothing with my life.

Maybe I'll be quiet here a bit and ponder that...Hope y'all have a great day! Thanks for all the comments, posts and emails. I cannot begin to tell you all how much the support means to me. I may not respond to all of them, but I read each carefully and take them to heart. Y'all are ALOT of the wind under my wings. Thank you.

ADDENDUM
There was some sobering news on the floor we learned last night. Of the 14 patients currently undergoing STC, 6 have been removed to ICU in the past 48 hours. According to the nurses, that's not a good thing as it means the transplant is failing and there is nothing the doctors can do to help them. Sadly, one was a 25 year old kid I just met the other day. He was getting a transplant in treatment of his Leukemia. His room is empty today, and that hurts. The other one that shocked me was the 41 year old who started the same day I did. Our treatment were literally at the same time. Nurses would be in changing my IV, and he would beep them to change his. He was a bright, funny guy getting an autologus transplant for relapsed NHL. He went to ICU this morning. And his outlook is pretty grim. His room was empty on my walk this morning too.

Its hard not to cry about those. I'm blessed to be so strong and doing so well, and I know it. Because I see firsthand people who aren't so lucky. They start at the same point as I, but don't necessarily end up in the same outcome. I don't understand why that happens, I just feel honored and privilidged to walk the path I walk. I say a prayer for both Jessie and Chris.

3 comments:

the basement gunsmith said...

stay tough brother. we'll be on the trout stream soon enough.

c

Jeff Abbott said...

Travis, it is great to read about your steps forward but heartbreaking to read about the other patients. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

the basement gunsmith said...

Thank God. So happy to hear about the "partying" stem cells. Also very sorry to read about the downturn for the fellow SCT patient. Prayers are with him and his family. The Cue and I are planning a visit over the weekend, if you're up to it. Nothing crazy...we'll try to keep it down to a dull roar... At best a diversion for you. Keep up the great PMA, even though we we're going to pay you $100 if you told Dr. Happy Pants to go suck it. Might feel good, and I'm sure he can take it. : ) xo Kim