Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday T+4

WOW, did the Malfalon lay me out. I felt so bad Friday and Saturday I couldn't even turn the computer on, much less post. Exhausted, drained, fatigued, like a building dropped on me, these are all descriptions for how bad I felt, but don't really give a true impression.

Yesterday, my WBC finally fell below 1.0 to 0.4, which is neutropenic(meaning no immune system). So they were giving me lots of antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals, to try and keep any infection at bay. Alas, about 10:00 last night, my body finally succumbed and spiked a 101 fever. 100.5 is enough to send them scurrying. They checked my blood, did a urine sample, sent me for a chest x-ray at 1:00 am and started me on IV antibiotics, which are even stronger. They also began running my vital signs every four hours, which makes sleeping a bit interesting. Getting your blood pressure checked while in your sleep in kinda freaky.

They have to treat any fever with so much action because they don't know the cause of the infection/fever. It could just be that I'm neutropenic, but it could be something worse. Because I've no immune system, they have to err on the safe side. By this morning, by temperature had come down to 99.0 and I was no longer sweating like crazy. I can't say I feel any better, because I'm even more exhausted than yesterday, but that's mostly because of the lack of sleep from all the testing.

They are telling me my stem cells should engraft and begin re-creating my immune system in the next 4-5 days, and that when that happens, I will begin feeling alot better. In the meantime, the threat of fevers and more tests will remain high. Although, I'm encouraged because my doctor says I look good and am doing well spirits wise, which is a huge help according to her.

Thank GOD for college football. Man, I love getting to watch so many games. Small consolation for how bad I feel, but its something. Peace out, I'm off to my morning nap. T

3 comments:

Jeff Abbott said...

I hope they give you chicken soup along with the massive array of antibiotics. That sucks, Travis, but it sounds like they got it under control. Here's hoping the coming days as your immune system regenerates are much easier.

Enjoy the football marathon.

marianne said...

Hi Travis,
Sounds like you are doing a great job in this fight for your life. We're following your progress and are in awe of your courage, spirit and good humor. You are amazing! BTW, have you ever considered a career in writing, or been a writer professionally? You have a true talent. (See that, better rest up, I'm already encouraging your next job! Give a guy a break for a while, huh?)

Wishing you a better day, each day, and a speedy recovery. Big hello from Pete, too.

Bye for now, Marianne Trotter

Unknown said...

Keep fighting, Trav!