Sunday, August 31, 2008

T-3

Another day, another two rounds of chemo at 7 am and 7 pm. They take between 2-3 hours to complete and basically just drain me further. I'm pretty exhausted, but that's mainly the extent of the side effects at this point. We seem to have my overfluidizing under control. I've been peeing a TON. For example, last night at 10:00 pm I weighed 224.9 lbs. This morning at 6:30 am I was down to 219.1 lbs. All fluid.

During the day, the treatments build up tons of fluids, driving my blood pressure way up. then at night, I get the chance to pee and sleep it off. hehehe.

I asked the nurse how caustic the chemotherapy agents were, because they completely wrap themselves up all the time and are VERY careful handling the IV bags. She said if there was a spill and it got on her, it would cause extreme burns to her skin, and the vapors would burn her lungs. spiills are a VERY BAD thing, she said. To which I had to reply, "but its ok to put it directly into my bloodstream through my jugular vein?" she laughed and said , Yep.

Scary stuff. Anyway, my White Blood Cell counts(WBC) are holding up very well. They've actually risen since treatment started from 5.5 to 11.7. I won't feel truly bad they say until that number drops to 0.1 or 0.01. Then I'll just be a blob laying on a mattress. Its coming, but hopefully not until the new stem cells are on board. As soon as the new stem cells create new WBC, I'll feel better. So the longer till the big drop, the shorter the duration of feeling the worst.

Looking forward to that......sheesh. I'm going to try and take some pix with my web cam today to y'all can see my room and stuff. Its not bad, but its definately boring. The food here's also pretty bad, thank God for Mom, Dad, Honore and Chris who bring me real food from time to time.

Shower time....ttyl. Oh, and I found out the chemotherapy also prevents me from going out to stud as my fertility has been destroyed. So my horse racing career is definately kaput. Have to find some other sport to look into. Maybe I'll lose 75 lbs and have a vertabrae removed and become a NASCAR driver.

2 comments:

MadlyWriting said...

Well, if you are not running like a racehorse, you are at least peeing like one.

You know me--you telling us that the chemo agents are so poisonous to human skin means I have to use that in a future novel. That is just beyond weird to think of them putting it into your blood.

I hope the rest of the day goes okay, and thanks again for posting and let us all know how you are doing.

Unknown said...

Trav -

Just reading your latest update with my mom who sends her greetings. We're all following your progress.

Bung