Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One Week to go

Well, I'm sitting here on my week of rest prior to my stem cell transplant, and I realize I'm getting out and doing as much as I can for two reasons really. First, because I'll be laid up for the next 12 weeks according to my doctors. Four weeks in the hospital and then 8 weeks at home before I can go out at all. So, that's one reason to get out and do alot.

The other reason is it gives me something to think about other than going into treatment next week. By staying busy, I don't have time to think about how much its going to hurt, or how I'm going to feel(crappy), or basically how just plain scared I am. So when my plans fell apart for today and I find myself resting quietly at home, my mind begins to wander and let me tell you that's a scary thing.

To combat my mind going all over the place, I've started a packing list and begun pulling things together. I cannot believe how long it is, but Laura, the transplant co-ordinator, told me not to worry, most folks bring several bags in with them. "It's not like you're only going to be here a day, you will be here a month."

So here's the short version of what I'm supposed to bring:
Clothing(I don't have to wear a hospital gown)
Tennis/Walking Shoes(for physical therapy)
Pillow/Blanket(have to be brand new in the bag or dry cleaned)
Laptop
iPhone
New toothbrush, softest bristle possible
Glasses/Contacts
Headphones
DVDs/Books on tape/Book/Entertainment stuff(ie Cribbage board so I can let Dad beat up on me.)
Snacks(peanut butter crackers, lemon drops, crackers is what they reccommend)
Sodas(again, their reccommendation)

I go in on Tuesday the 26th, which is known at T-6. I get the BEAM Chemotherapy until T-1(Aug 31), then I get a rest day(T-0) followed by re-infusion (T+1). I will be feeling very bad during this part, but the worst will be T+6 through T+12, as this is when I will have no bone marrow or blood cells(except what they transfuse into me). By T+12, my stem cells should have found their way into my bone marrow and begun re-populating. If all goes well, I'll be out by T+21 or T+22, at least that's what I was told to plan for, I could get out early if my counts are strong enough.

But getting out of the hospital is only the beginning. I will be at home under very strict infection controls for the following 4-6 weeks. Basically, this will be the same as being in isolation, only I get the luxury of my own bed. A home health nurse will come by once or twice a day for blood draws, to give me medications and make sure I'm doing well. I will be on antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals during this time as my new immune system will be extremely delicate.

My doctor says I could be well enough to go out by Thanksgiving, and with any luck will be strong enough to go to the Leukemia Cup Fantasy Sail in Florida December 13-15th. Otherwise, I'll be restricted to home. Yippee.....man, its like 90 degrees out and I'm contemplating that I won't get to be outside for any length of time again until almost Christmas. WOW, that's crazy.

More later, I want to post the BEAM chemotherapy drugs and side effects, and I have Weight Watchers worst nightmare coming too.

TTYL, Trav

No comments: