Friday, August 29, 2008

Day T-5

After a fitful night's sleeep, interrupted by my drip alarm going off every three hours, I finally dragged myself out of bed at 6 this morning. I got my premedications for this morning's chemotherapy, more ativan and prednisone, as well as Nexium for my stomach. I ordered an omlette and english muffin with coffee and climbed into the shower.

Showering with a central line hook upto a drip pump is kinda weird. I tape a baggie over the dressing on my chest where to port enters my body, then I roll the drug machine into the shower with me, park it where I hope it won't get wet, and off I go.

Then promptly at 0700, the drug began. First up, VP-16(aka Etoposide) which I have had before in my R-ICE treatments. Its not too bad, it does get me a little nauseated, but not enough to prevent me from eating my omlet. This Etoposide is roughly twice the dose I received previously, and I will have another round of it at 7 pm tonight. Oh joy. Immediately following the Etoposide, I get a blast of another chemo agent, I can't remember the name atm. So its 4 hours of chemo in the morning and four hours of chemo again in the evening. The drugs are really powerful and take their toll, but I feel pretty good so far.

Today I'll take some pix of my room and post them.

4 comments:

Riley Schneider said...

hang in there brother, you got an army of support behind you. Hope the omelot was good!!

Sharon said...

Trav...Thanks for updating us..I've been reading all your posts. Im sure not for you, but it's been interesting to read and also to hear how well you've been responding so far to treatment. Stay strong..hang in there. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Sharon Enochs

Jeff Abbott said...

Hang tough, Travis. Keep posting when you feel up to it. And each day is one day less you have to be there. Glad the drugs didn't keep you from a good breakfast.

Stu Pratt said...

Trav I hope you have a TV to watch your Longhorns this weekend. Stay strong and don't forget how much support you have out there.
Stu