Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day - 6

First day in the isolation unit, it was long, but not too tough. I had a million questions to answer once we got here, and while I was doing that, Dad was cool enough to bring my 3 bags of stuff up from the car. It seemed like alot when I was packing, but given a month of being here, and having unpacked it so easily, I think its just enough to get me through.

Thank God for my new computer, except that the internet bandwidth is so restricted I can't instant messenger Honore, which means I can't see Hope. :( I'm really depressed about that, but I think I'll just have to work out a way to get around it.

Had the B in BEAM chemo today, it hit me like a freaking truck. No nausea, but man am I exhausted. I feel like I could sleep for a month right now, and its barely 8:30 pm. Of course the ativan and prednisone steroids, as well as the benedryl, all through the central line sent me to the moon pretty quickly.

My room is nice. The floor is secured by two double doors and a pressure chamber visitors have to cross, and wash their hands in. And once they come to my room, they must re-wash their hands again. Infection controls are VERY strict up here. I'm on the 15th floor, and have a view looking west over the construction site of the new children's hospital. Nice view, noisy during the day though.

The menu leaves ALOT to be desired. There's only four dinner entrees and three lunches. So I'll have to get Honore and Mom/Dad to bring me some meals. Fortunately, they are allowed to, so that's good.

Gonna run, very, very tired. I have 5 chemo infusions tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll be awake enough to write, but I'll try.

3 comments:

Renee Rendler-Kaplan said...

Travis - how can food be brought in with the infection control being so tight? Only home made foods from your parents and Honore or are they allowing them to bring in restaurant meals? Great that you are able to post - best wishes daily.

Travis said...

Renee - it depends. The food has to be fresh. If its to be reheated, it has to be brought in sealed containers mark with my name and delivered to the nutrition room before ever coming to my room. If its a hot meal, like from a restaurant and is ready to eat, they can bring it to me. No left overs though, has to be fresh meal. Also, I'm under neupgenic restrictions so no fresh fruits or veggies.

Renee Rendler-Kaplan said...

OOOKAY then, I guess the vichysoisse that is my new specialty is out for now...but you let me know if you want it when you are sprung - it goes down pretty easily. Enjoying your dark bloggy humor on a daily basis kiddo.