Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Update

I have complete two rounds of Rituxan-ICE chemotherapy(Isofosfamine, Carboplat, Etopocide). Its pretty heavy duty stuff, but I'm doing very well. I have not needed a blood transfusion, which means my body is being very strong and responding well to the treatment. I find out tomorrow if my next round will be next week. I hope so because my feeling is, let's get it on.

After the third round of R-ICE, we have to re-stage my cancer, which means make sure its gone and then begin the stem cell transplant. The transplant will involve two stages. First, collection of the stem cells which will be the week after my 3rd round of chemo. It will involve 5-7 days of 6 hour apherisis treatments to get the stem cells out of my blood. Once we have enough of those, the second stage begins. I will then be admitted to Northwestern Hospital's transplant unit where I will undergo 6 days of very high dose chemotherapy, called BEAM chemo(I don't know the drugs on that one yet).

The BEAM will kill my bone marrow. Then,on the 7th or 8th day, my harvested stem cells will be returned to my body. Then, its 3 weeks or so in isolation while we wait for them to find their way back to my bone marrow and begin re-creating my immune system.

I can have a computer in my room for the month I'm in the hospital, so I'll attempt to keep the blog posted. It's easier than a million phone calls. Because of the isolation requirements, I cannot have visitors, flowers or fruit in my room. In lieu of any gift or anything, please check out www.sailtravis.com and consider making a donation. If you already have, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Cancer doesn't win, I win. I win by being alive today and celebrating it for all its glory, painful as it may be. Back to bed.

No comments: