Thursday, July 24, 2008

Update Thursday - PET Scan day

Had my PET scan this morning. The PET scan is a very high tech test that can tell if the cancer has been destroyed by the chemotherapy or not. Restaging the cancer before my stem cell transplant is required so the doctors know if its gone or not. If its gone, we proceed. If not, I'm not sure what happens.

Either way, I'm fairly certain the stem cell transplant moves forward. My next round of chemotherapy begins next Monday. It will be another 4 day ordeal, but I'll get through it ok. This round however is when things get busy. During the two week recovery, I will be getting the vascular catheter put in and begin doing the apherisis to collect my stem cells for the transplant. After 5-7 days of collection, I will get a week break and then be put in the hospital for the transfer.

Right now, if things go as scheduled I'll be in Northwestern Hospital in mid to late August and will be there in isolation for a month. I will be able to take my laptop with me, so I will be able to post updates.

Because my treatment got pushed back to next Monday, we had and extra week. Since I had a surprisingly good blood test last Thursday, Dr. Grinblatt allowed us to go up north. We had a great break, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I really needed it to get my mind off the cancer for a bit and relax.

I'm going for my echocardiogram later this afternoon, which should wrap up the last of the staging tests. They also do a bunch of tests, like the echo, to make sure the chemo is not damaging my internal organs too much. The R-ICE treatment is especially hard on the heart muscle and the bladder/kidneys. We should have all the results back early next week.

Travis

No comments: