Thursday, July 31, 2008

Round 3 Chemo

THANK GOD that's over. What a long, greuling night of nausea, sweating, vomiting and pain. Just miserable, yuck. But, I made it, I'm home and round 3 of R-ICE chemotherapy is over, except for the Neulasta shot tomorrow morning, but that's no biggie.

This round is important because its the mobilization round. It stimulates my bone marrow to produce massive amounts of blood cells and stem cells, which they can then capture from my blood stream and use in my transfusion. By using my clean stem cell, called an autologus stem cell transfer, the fatality risk falls considerably. Autologus transplant carry a 2% mortality rate while donor, allogenic, transplants still carry a 25-30% mortality rate. So even though my brother's a perfect match, it not worth the risk at this point. Better to get 15 years out of a self-transfer and let technology/medicine decrease the donor risk profile before going that route.

This round of chemo was very tough. I think its because I am so run down from the previous two rounds. But I held up pretty well, and my doctor thinks things are going terrific.

Hope is doing GREAT!!! She can sit up, and she's practicing her different laughs. She's a very happy baby, from when she wakes up early in the morning until we put her gently to bed. Generally, she's only fussy when something's wrong, otherwise its laugh and play all day. Its wonderful. It is also great energy for me to be around, although I feel really guilty alot because the fatigue from the chemo limits how long I can keep up with her. I can play about 30-45 minutes on the floor, but I can only hold her about 15 before I tire out. However, I get in as much Daddy time as I can, and she loves it.

More later, I'm whipped and going back to bed.

Love,

Trav

2 comments:

Stuart Pratt said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Trav. Am following along closely. Hope is beautiful. Looking forward to catching up with you three soon.
Stu

Travis said...

Thanks Stu. Hopefully we can catch up soon. T